Monday 20 August 2012

Housing Cost in Saudi Arabia

Hi,

Expats who come to Saudi always have a question on Cost of Living especially regarding housing. Let me try put my experience on here for all to benefit.

Few companies provide accommodation to employees (Single/Family). But majority of expats have to fend for themselves.

Here is snippets of housing cost you can expect at following popular cities in Saudi Arabia i.e. Jubail /Dammam/Yanbu/Riyadh/Jeddah. The rent depends on location from center of city. These rates are as of Aug 2012. (updated rents 23 April 2019)

For Bed Sharing 3:1: SR150pm-SR350pm and above
For Bed Sharing 2:1: SR800pm-SR2000pm and above
For Room Sharing 3:1 (3bhk): SR1000-2500pm and above
For Family Flat: 1BHK - 12000-15000 PA, 2 BHK - 16000-20000 PA, 3 BK - 20000- above


One more source to find the rent charges/accommodation in Saudi Arabia is to visit www.expatriates.com - Saudi Arabia . Majority of Expats in Saudi, post offers through this website and is good and reliable source for your rental flats.


However, Expats who wish to have a good deal for their flats are advisable to visit the Akari (Authorized Broker for renting flats). These broker who are appointed by the owner of building usually have office in the building premises itself. Or they will put up the Advt on the building to contact. <Update-23.4.2019> They have plenty houses and with new online Ajar, its mandatory to deal with Agents. But we also get houses by landlord who lease on selfbasis, but registering online is now mandatory. 

Also, note that usually rents exclude electricity and sometimes water charges. These must be discussed before finalizing the rent. Electric bill and water bill are very minimal in Saudi Arabia due to hugely subsidized.

Also there is Admin Expenses varying from SR500-SR1000 which these Akari will charge you in advance. Rent needs to be paid either 3month /6months or annually. Usually for annual basis, you can expect some discount.

Usually flats are offered on empty basis. I.e. you would need to purchase all the items to furnish the room. But if you leasing a flat from existing lessee, you might have to buy few items alongwith the flats.

Remember if you bring families, following below minimum basic utility will have to buy for comfortable living:

AC’s for Hall and Bedrooms
Refrigerator
Heater’s (cold season)
Curtain for windows
Bed + Bed Mattress etc
Washing Machine
Cloth Hangers
Dining Table + Chairs
Sofa Sets
TV+ Receiver + Dish
Internet Access
Stove + Gas + Oven
And other Utilities essentials, and Utensils for cooking and storing as per need

If thing this is too much, no issues, you can lease a Service Apartment. Service apartment are available in all cities and the charges are either per day basis/monthly basis. Service apartment have furnished room with partly furnished kitchen. Plus its always cleaned as per your requirement. Laundry service is also available in hotels.  Also you can always use the local laundry services which are economical and reliable. Charges : SR200/100 per day and above. Monthly rent Starts SR2500 and above.

For traveling in Saudi Arabia, you need to have a vehicle.You get rented vehicles on self driving basis or chauffeur driven. Both are bit on higher side compared to having your own vehicle. If with Family, you need to 100% have a vehicle. 

<Update> last time I did not mentioned about compounds as these are expensive and only few rich or company sponsored employees can afford. These compound can be found across cities and can be found on googleMap. Just search compound accommodation.  besides, now many service apartments have also comeup and one can also try them for a decent comfortable living but with cost.

Hope it is helpful

UKmitra
"I own the copyrights of the content"

15 comments:

  1. Hi UK Mitra

    I recently got a Job offer from Saudi and employer has asked me to arrange for Degree attestation process on my own.

    I currently reside in mumbai but i did my college from Delhi. I am fully confused about the attestation process, do i need to go to delhi to get the attestation done or i can depend on any agency to get this done.

    Can you please guid me?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi UK Mitra

    I recently got a Job offer from Saudi and employer has asked me to arrange for Degree attestation process on my own.

    I currently reside in mumbai but i did my college from Delhi. I am fully confused about the attestation process, do i need to go to delhi to get the attestation done or i can depend on any agency to get this done.

    Can you please guid me?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Subramaniam,
    Well, first you have to ensure that your degree certificate is verified and attested by your university. You can see that on back of your certificate. If it there good if not you will have get it done first.
    Also get a Bonafied certificate from your College that your completed the course as "regular Student". This is a new requirement.
    Once that done, you need to get Cert Notarized.
    Then you can approach out New Mantralaya office in Nariman Point and go to 10th floor and have the certificate endorsed by Home Ministry. Once that done go to 14 floor for HRD attestation. The Mantralaya has a separate office for this work and they will advise you, if they can't attest it and where to approach.
    Once you finish that you need to handover the certificate to an authorized agent who is approved by Saudi embassy to endorse Saudi Culture Attestation work.
    There are many agents, you can approach Jerry Varghese, JT Enterprises and many others in Mumbai and they will charge you for the service. Go with Reputed firm and not cost. It would cost you around 5000 to 6500 rs.
    Good Luck.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi UK mitra,

    Current I have offered in Saudi as a mechanical supervisor my basic salary is 8000 sar + 2800 sar per month allowance and yearly bonus of 8000 sar with single status including food and accommodation.my confusion is that I m married and I have 4 years old son and currently living in gujarat with 50000 rupees per month salary. So please assist me should I accept this offer and it will good for me and my family

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi UK mitra,

    Current I have offered in Saudi as a mechanical supervisor my basic salary is 8000 sar + 2800 sar per month allowance and yearly bonus of 8000 sar with single status including food and accommodation.my confusion is that I m married and I have 4 years old son and currently living in gujarat with 50000 rupees per month salary. So please assist me should I accept this offer and it will good for me and my family

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. really sorry Hitesh, I came back to you so late. My regrets. So let me answer your question. Your Take home salary 8000+2800+666 = 11466 i.e. as per today forex 17.35 INR 198,935 almost 3 times your current salary. So Salary is good.

      But with single status, this would not be attractive given the fact that if you choose to bring your family later you will have to bear a huge recurring cost for your spouse Residence permit, child residence permit, their medical card, travel charges, etc etc. Besides, child education.

      So, if you plan to bring your family, insist on family status with 2 child option. Or if you wish to be single, then this is good to have a decent saving. ensure if you do go for single status, request company for every 6 month vacation for 15 days.

      Good Luck

      Delete
  6. How much should a person should get his transportation allowance from his company , if he is working in saudi arabia ...

    ReplyDelete
  7. How much should a person should get his transportation allowance from his company , if he is working in saudi arabia ...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi sorry for late response. usually in KSA calculation is @10% of your basic salary. But some companies like Sadara, Sabic and aramco and few others have a fix amount grade wise for their employees, but ofcourse these are higher than 10% of Basic I mentioned. Good Luck. UK

      Delete
  8. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hello sir,

    I have offered salary 9000SAR with family status including accommodation & duty meal in a 5 star hotel as Assistant chief Engineer. Here in india I am getting nearly 50000/month. So sud I accept this offer?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, you did not mentioned your experience. But I guess if the contract offer your Accommodation for self and family in 5 star :), this is something new I never heard off.

      With less than 8 years Experience, 9000 Basic Salary is Good to start with; as you would be earning 3 times your current salary.

      Good potential to save. If you goona bring your family, negotiate for School Allowance, that would be beneficial for your saving.

      Good Luck.

      Delete
  10. Sir.

    I'm getting an offer for 8300 SAR location in jeddah . with out Family status and accomdation is included. This requirement is in procurement. And I have an experience of 14 years in India. Can you please guide me is this a gud offer.I don't know hindi, will I face any problem in work, I'm a vegetarian, what will be the cost per month for the food . kindly advise.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sir.

    I'm getting an offer for 8300 SAR location in jeddah . with out Family status and accomdation is included. This requirement is in procurement. And I have an experience of 14 years in India. Can you please guide me is this a gud offer.I don't know hindi, will I face any problem in work, I'm a vegetarian, what will be the cost per month for the food . kindly advise.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete